Downtown Ludington's New Year's Eve Ball Drop
December 31, 2017
Can't be in Times Square for New Year's Eve? No problem--just head to downtown Ludington for the Lighted Ball Drop at midnight. It's all part of Ludington's Light Up the Lake event. Every year thousands of people gather in the heart of downtown Ludington on New Year's Eve to witness the Ball Drop.
The fun starts early New Year's Eve in downtown Ludington, so bring the entire family and plan to shop for bargains at area merchants and have a meal in one of our fantastic restaurants.
Here's what's happening in 2017:
- Second Chance Humane Society is hosting their New Year's Eve Fur Ball on the 31st from 8-11:45pm at Stearns Ballroom. There will be music, dancing, beer, wine, small plates and dessert bar, photo opportunities and more.
- Sandcastles Children's Museum Annual Balloon Drop NYE Party from 5pm-8pm, featuring live music, party food, crafts, ice cream sundaes, face painting, and the big balloon drop. Admission is $10 per person; $35 per family.
- The Mason County District Library invites families, children and teens to celebrate New Year's Eve with a family party from 7pm-11:30pm. There will be crafts, games, and activities. Free to the public.
- Entertainment Tent opens in N. James Street Plaza, downtown Ludington at 9pm with music and beverages.
- Commemorative beverage glasses will be available. Food & Drink specials throughout the night in downtown Ludington.
- Ball drop with a countdown to midnight.
- Fireworks display over downtown Ludington.
Ludington Restaurants, Pubs & Retail Shops Will Be Open LateOn December 31, numerous downtown businesses offer great sales and many of them stay open late at night. And some of Ludington's favorite downtown restaurants are having two seatings, with dinner specials for two. Whether you want to wander through our art galleries, browse our specialty stores, or enjoy food and drink at a local restaurant or pub, Ludington welcomes you to come in out of the weather! Follow these links for additional information about Ludington Restaurants and Ludington Specialty Shops.
Join the New Year's Eve Fun!
Quick Links for Ludington Businesses
Families Can Enjoy New Year's Eve TogetherThere are two family-oriented parties scheduled on New Year's Eve. The first one will be at Sandcastles Children's Museum from 5pm-8pm. The other one is being held at the Ludington Library from 7pm-11:30pm...where there will be video games, board games, puzzles, carnival games, crafts, toys...plus hot chocolate, cookies and popcorn. As you can see, there's no shortage of fun for small children on New Year's Eve in Ludington!
Watch the Lighted Ball Drop at Midnight
The Ludington New Year's Eve ball is six feet, five inches in diameter and is lit by 6,000 LED lights. It is the biggest ball in West Michigan. There are four different color lights which blink as it's lowered.
Employees of GLC Metal Fabricators and Harsco were responsible for making the ball, and Tye Signs did the lights. The ball is truly a community project and something Ludington is very proud of!